Florida Historical Markers Programs - Marker: Suwannee
You are currently viewing Suwannee
- SUWANNEE COUNTY
Location:200 Ohio Ave S at County Courthouse
City: Live Oak
Description: This region was originally the land of the Timucuan Indians. Suwannee County was created in 1858. The county seat was moved from its original site at Houston to Live Oak in 1868 because of the latter's superior geographical position and railroad facilities. Settled by people from the upper South, the county soon became an important agricultural region. It is bounded on the north, west, and south by the Suwannee River.
- STEAMBOATING ON THE SUWANNEE RIVER
Location:intersection of U.S. 27 and Ivey Memorial Park Drive
Description: In the late 19th century, steamboats docked regularly at the old depot in Branford (originally called Rowland's Bluff) when the settlement was a major port on the Suwannee River. From here the steam powered vessels carried the region's cotton, lumber, and naval stores to market. In 1882, the depot also became the terminus for the Live Oak and Rowland's Bluff Railroad. Steamboat traffic ended on the Suwannee before 1920, but the depot continued in use as a railroad station for many years. The wrecks of the steamboats "Madison", the "City of Hawkinsville" and others that lie on the river's bottom are reminders of a vanished era. In 1982, the Branford Shrine Club purchased the depot from the S.C.L Railroad and moved it to its present site for use as a club house and community center.
Sponsors: THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE