Florida Historical Markers Programs - Marker: Osceola
You are currently viewing Osceola
- HAMILTON DISSTON SUGAR PLANTATION
Location:2700 Lake Shore Blvd
City: St. Cloud
Description: In 1885, Hamilton Disston, Pennsylvania industrialist and pioneer Florida promoter, established an extensive experimental sugar plantation on the drained lands around St. Cloud. The enterprise, part of Disston's promotional scheme, prospered for several years and operated its own cane mill. After the abolition of the federal bounty on domestic sugar, the business failed and much of the machinery was sold for scrap. The failure caused large scale sugar planting in Florida to be abandoned for many years.
- OSCEOLA COUNTY
Location:2 Courthouse Sq, on grounds of Courthouse.
Description: Osceola County was created in May, 1887 from portions of Orange and Brevard Counties. One of its sponsors was Senator J. Milton Bryan, who suggested the new county be named for Osceola, the great Seminole warrior. The new county was Florida's fortieth and had 815 citizens. Kissimmee was named the county seat. In 1889, Osceola citizens voted a $30,000 bond issue to build this Romanesque Revival style courthouse, which has remained in daily use since 1890. It's significance was recognized by its listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Osceola is Florida's sixth largest county. It has a rich history of cattle raising extending back to the days of the Seminole Indians. Other landmarks in county agricultural and economic history include the rise and decline of Hamilton Disston's Land and sugar empire, steamboating, and lumbering. Cattle and agriculture remain Osceola County's economic bulwarks, although it has experienced growth in manufacturing and tourism since the late 1960s.
Sponsors: sponsored by Kissimmee business and professional women's club
in cooperation with department of state
- THE THUNDERSTORM PROJECT
Location:13th St. Between New York and Pennsylvania Ave.
City: St. Cloud
Description: On a typical summer afternoon thunderstorms will be seen in the skies surrounding this site. So common they are often ignored, thunderstorms are nevertheless vital to the State's economy. They provide most of Florida's annual rainfall, but lightening and strong winds from occasional severe storms can be costly. It was here in the summer of 1946 that scientists used weather radar, aircraft penetration flights, balloon soundings and an extensive network of surface instruments to gather - for the first time - observations which led to an understanding of the structure and life cycle of thunderstorms. This site was chosen because the frequency of thunderstorms in Florida is higher than anywhere else in North America. The Thunderstorm Project was conducted by U.S. Weather Bureau, Air Force, Navy and NACA (forerunner of NASA). Scientists working at the University of Chicago analyzed the resulting data. Theories they developed from observations made here in 1946 - and in the Ohio Phase of the Project the following summer - remain the cornerstone of our understanding of thunderstorms and related weather such as hail, strong winds, heavy rain and tornadoes.
Sponsors: sponsored by meteorologists from around the country
in cooperation with the department of state
- THE DESERT INN
Location:State Highway 441 and State Road 60.
City: Yeehaw Junction
Description: The Desert Inn was founded as a trading post in the late 1880s. The present building dates before 1925 and served as a supply and recreational center for cattle drovers, lumber men and tourists during the era when much of Osceola County was still undeveloped wilderness. Cowmen working the free ranging cattle on the palmetto prairie and lumber men cutting timber in the nearby pine lands came to the Desert Inn to eat, drink, and dance at this “oasis” where they could enjoy some relief from their arduous labors. Local patrons of the trading post and restaurant included African Americans and Seminoles, who had separate dining facilities in the era of segregation. The construction of roads in the 1930s brought tourists to the area, and a set of overnight cabins were erected behind the original building. Today the Desert Inn continues to be a popular destination for tourists and local residents. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
Sponsors: The Desert Inn and the Florida Department of State
- KENANVILLE SCHOOL
Location:1180 South Canoe Creek Road
Description: This building was constructed in 1917 on five acres of land with $6,000 donated from the estate of Mrs. Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham, (1867-1917), wife of Henry Flagler, the owner and promoter of the Florida East Coast Railroad. Kenansville School is the oldest known public school building in Osceola County. The two-story masonry vernacular brick building, of late 19th, early 20th century design, was erected by A.J. MacDonough, Architect, and Track and Nash Contractor. From 1917 to early 1920, the school housed grades one through 12 with as many as 100 students and five teachers. By 1922, only 29 students were enrolled in grades one through six and were taught by one teacher. The school closed in 1962 and sat empty for 30 years. In 1992 it reopened, serving students from pre-K to second grade and saving the younger children the 35-mile bus ride to St. Cloud. In 2003, the school closed its doors permanently. In 2005, the school was deeded to the Kenansville Community Association, Inc. with the help of the School Board of Osceola County and the Board of County Commissioners of Osceola County. For several decades, the school was one of the state’s outstanding rural schools.
Sponsors: SPONSORED BY THE KENANSVILLE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION, INC.
AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE
- SUGAR BELT RAILWAY/ VFW POST
Location:915 New York Avenue
City: St. Cloud
Description: The Sugar Belt Railway Line, built in 1889 by Hamilton Disston, transported sugar and citrus between the town of Narcoossee and Kissimmee. The train made the return trip after being reversed on a turntable at Narcoossee operated by muscle power. The rail line ran through what would become the town of St. Cloud, which was surveyed and platted in 1909 as a result of its location, south of Lake Tohopekaliga and near the railroad. St. Cloud was intended for veterans of the Civil War, and was known as “The Soldier City.” In 1910, a wood-frame depot building was erected to handle passenger and freight service. The building also served as a welcome center for new members of the community arriving on the train. The women of St. Cloud began putting books and magazines in the depot, thereby beginning the town’s first library. In 1925, the Sugar Belt Railway, as part of the Atlantic Coast Line, built a new brick building where the old wood frame building stood. The depot ceased to operate in 1942 because of dwindling traffic between Kissimmee and Narcoossee. The Veterans of the Foreign Wars Post 3227 purchased the building to use as their post headquarters in 1943.
Sponsors: St. Cloud Main Street, City of St. Cloud
- FIRST NATIONAL BANK/ST. CLOUD CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
Location:1200 New York Avenue
City: St. Cloud
Description: St. Cloud's First National Bank opened in 1910. This narrow, two story Masonry Vernacular structure was built from locally produced sand brick, wood beams, and concrete block. St. Cloud residents subscribed over $100,000 of capital stock, twice as much as required by the United States Comptroller. It was the only national bank in the county, and the level of capital stock raised was unprecedented. In 1911, the bank issued $10 notes with a picture of the bank’s first president, William H. Lynn. Though the bank failed in December 1917, the building remained an important part of downtown St. Cloud. Many diverse community organizations and businesses were housed in the building, including the People's Bank of St. Cloud in 1919, the US. Spanish War Veterans Headquarters in 1934, and the Golden Age Club in 1970. The building was purchased in 1992 by the Chamber of Commerce, which represents over 500 local businesses, and serves as its headquarters. In 1997, the St. Cloud Chamber was awarded a state historic preservation grant to restore the building with support from Florida Secretary of State Sandra Mortham. Following its restoration, the building has also served as a museum devoted to St. Cloud history.
Sponsors: St. Cloud Main Street, City of St. Cloud, Osceola County Economic Development