Florida Historical Markers Programs - Marker: Lafayette
You are currently viewing Lafayette
- LAFAYETTE COUNTY
Location:Lafayette U.S. 27 between Fletcher St. and Monroe St. on courthouse lawn.
Description: Lafayette County was created December 23, 1856, from Madison County. The county was named in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette, the French citizen who rendered invaluable assistance to the Colonies during the Revolutionary War. The famed Suwannee River forms the entire eastern boundary of the county. The county courts first met at the house of Ariel Jones near Fayetteville. The county seat was moved from New Troy to Mayo in 1893. Dixie County was created from the lower part of the county in 1921.
Sponsors: Sponsored by lafayette county development authority in cooperation withdepartment of state
- MAYO, COUNTY SEAT OF LAFAYETTE COUNTY
Location:Lafayette County Courthouse grounds
Description: Established in 1874 by John B. Whitfield, Mayo was named in honor of James M. Mayo, a colonel in the Confederate Army and father of Nathan Mayo, who served as State Commissioner of Agriculture from 1923 to 1960. Mayo became the county seat of Lafayette County in 1892, after the courthouse in the previous county seat at New Troy was destroyed by fire. A two-story wood frame courthouse was completed in 1894 but was moved in 1907 to its current site at the corner of Fletcher and Bloxham Streets to make way for the present Classical Revival style courthouse which was completed in 1909. A small commercial district in the vicinity of the courthouses is noted for its historic turn-of-the-century architecture.
Sponsors: Florida Department of State