Florida Historical Markers Programs - Marker: Pasco
You are currently viewing Pasco
- PASCO COUNTY
Location:on Courthouse grounds in Dade City.
City: Dade City
Description: Pasco County was created from Hernando County on May 12, 1887. The are was first inhabited by Muscogee Indians and the first white men in area came with Spanish explorer Panfilo de Narvaez in May, 1528. Narvaez fought the Indians near the Withlacoochee River before moving northward. Few white settlers were in the area until the 1840's. It is home of St. Leo College and is noted for citrus and naval stores.
- FORT DADE
Location:Treiman Blvd. between Johnny B and Globe Rd.
City: Dade City
Description: Located one mile east of this point on the south bank of the Withlacoochee River at the crossing of the Fort King Road. The Fort, built in 1837, named for Major Francis Langhorne Dade, served for many years as a depot and observation post in the heart of the Seminole Indian settlement. Here, March 6, 1837, the Seminole leaders, Jumper and Alligator, met General Thomas S. Jesup to sign the "Ft. Dade Capitulation."
Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
- CHRISTMAS DAY, 1835
Location:1204 State Rd 52, Pasco Comprehensive High School
City: Dade City
Description: On Christmas Day, 1835, Major Francis Langhorne Dade and his command of 111 men bivouacked near here by Fort King Road, which stretched 125 miles from Fort Brooke (Tampa) to Fort King (Ocala). Three days later, at a point about twenty miles north of their Christmas campsite, Major Dade and all but four of his men died in an ambush by Seminoles resisting removal to the West. This battle largely precipitated The Second Seminole War.
Sponsors: Pasco Comprehensive High School and Francis Dade Ladies' Auxiliary 4283 Veterans of Foreign Wars in Cooperation with Department of State
- ZEPHYRHILLS RAILROAD DEPOT
Location:39110 South Ave
Description: The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACLR) Depot was built in 1927 and was used as a station/depot for passenger service and for shipping citrus, produce and other goods, thereby stimulating economic development and residential settlement. Railroad stations served as major community, commercial and social centers, linking each of the small towns with the rest of the world. With its wide overhangs and high ceilings, the depot represents the southern architectural style of the first quarter of the 20th century. Built at a cost of $13,207.21, the building was constructed of red brick and hard pine. It featured segregated waiting rooms, an office, a ware (freight) room, a raised outside platform and concrete concourses. ACLR trains traversed through Florida serving Zephyrhills from Jacksonville and Ocala to southern cities including Tampa, Bradenton and Miami. Famous trains such as the “Orange Blossom Special” and “Gulf Coast Limited” were among those stopping at the Zephyrhills station. With assistance from state and federal grants, the City of Zephyrhills acquired the depot in 1988 and restored it to its original appearance. In October 1998, it opened to the public as a local railroad and historical museum.
Sponsors: CITY OF ZEPYHYRHILLS AND THE FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF STATE